Books recommended here have been found to be useful by our patients in our clinical practice at CTOC. We hope this would be your experience. The following books are not to be considered professional treatment recommendations or substitutes for an evaluation by a licensed mental health professional. These books may be purchased at your local book store or an online retailer. Most titles are also available from your local library.
- Brain Bugs: How the Brain's Flaws Shape Our Lives by Dean Buonomano, Ph.D.
- Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow by Daniel Khaneman, Ph.D.
- Prisoners of Hate by Aaron T. Beck, M.D.
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Happiness and Well-Being
- The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomurski, Ph.D.
- Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman, Ph.D.
- Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman, Ph.D.
- Mind Over Mood by Dennis Greenberger, Ph.D. & Christine Padesky, Ph.D.
Anxiety and Phobias
- Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Borne, Ph.D.
- Anxiety Free by Robert Leahy, Ph.D.
- The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide by David Miklowitz, Ph.D.
- Love Is Never Enough by Aaron T. Beck, M.D.
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M. Gottman, Ph.D.
- And Baby Make Three by Julie Gottman, John Gottman, Ph.D.
- The Truth About Children and Divorce: Dealing with the Emotions So You and Your Children Can Thrive by Robert E. Emery, Ph.D.
ADHD for Adults
- Mastering Your Adult ADHD by Steven Safren, Ph.D.
- When Perfect Isn’t Good Enough by Martin Antony, Ph.D. and Richard Stinson, M.D.
- Freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder by Johnathan Grayson, Ph.D.
- The Complete Family Guide to Schizophrenia by Kim T. Mueser, Ph.D. and Susan Gingerich, M.S.W.
- Sex, Drugs, Gambling and Chocolate: A Workbook for Overcoming Addictions by A. Thomas Horvath, Ph.D.
- Inside Rehab: The Surprising Truth About Addiction Treatment and How to Get Help That Works by Anne M. Fletcher